Dear Friends & Neighbors,
As you've probably heard, we've got a brand-new name and we're super-pumped about it: East Point Breeze Neighbors! We're transitioning to the new name, so please bear with us as we work on the new logo, website, and more. But that doesn't mean we've slowed down on our neighborhood efforts, so keep scrolling to find out about how to get involved, neighborhood happenings, and what we're up to!
ONE WEEK EARLY & LOCATION CHANGE: General Meeting Wednesday
We usually hold our monthly General Meeting on the fourth Wednesday of every month at the Reed St. Apartments. But, we're having it a week early and changing the location to include a special Welcoming Week 2016 event (see below for more details). So the meeting will take place tomorrow (Wednesday) at the brand new Free Library of Philadelphia - South Philadelphia Branch.
This is the perfect first step to getting more involved in the community! Come hear what's going on in the neighborhood, meet some neighbors, and bring any questions or concerns you might have.
EPBN General Meeting
Date: Wednesday, September 21
Time: 6:30 p.m.
Location: Free Library of Philadelphia- South Philadelphia Branch, 1700 S Broad St (Broad & Morris Streets)
Get Your Tickets for the 10th Annual Beer Tour
Tickets are available now for the beer tour at universe.com/EPBNbeer!
- What: East Point Breeze Neighbors 10th Annual Beer Tour
- When: October 15th, 2016 from 5:00-10:00pm
- Where: Five houses within the civic boundaries (Broad to 18th, Washington to Passyunk)
- Cost: $40 per person (no extra fees!)
- Description: This will be our tenth year joining together to meet new neighbors, eat great food, and most importantly drink local beer! The first of five houses will be announced to ticket holders the week of the event, where all attendees will get a custom designed beer mug and a map with the time and place for each house. Local beer will be donated by awesome breweries like Victory, Second Story, and Evil Genius. And local food will be donated by On Point Bistro, Talluto's Authentic Italian, and Rosario's Pizza. Hope to see you there!
Welcoming Week Speakers
Welcoming Week is a series of events put on by the Office of Immigrant Affairs that highlights that Philadelphia is an open, friendly, and hospitable environment for immigrants and people of all backgrounds. The activities and events provide U.S.-born and foreign-born residents an opportunity to explore other cultures — and develop a deeper appreciation for one another.
East Point Breeze Neighbors is excited to be a part of it this year! At our general meetingtomorrow (details above), we'll hear from Hani White from the City’s Office of Immigrant Affairs, representatives from SEAMAAC, and Jessica Hinchey from the Nationalities Service Center. We'll learn about South Philadelphia’s immigrant communities and how local civic organizations and neighbors can be a part of providing a welcoming community to new arrivals.
For more details on this and other Welcoming Week events, click here.